Jay Bruce going back to New York Mets

Lawrence Cooper
January 13, 2018

With AP Photos.Two people familiar with the negotiations say free-agent outfielder Jay Bruce is set to return to the New York Mets after agreeing to a $39 million, three-year contract. The 31-year-old outfielder batted.279/.363/.486 with 28 home runs and 88 RBI over 156 games for the Pirates last season.

It can be reasonably expected that if the Mets are fully healthy, their starting outfield would consist of Bruce in right field, Michael Conforto in center field, and Yoenis Cespedes in left field.

When Bruce joined the Indians, it marked the first time that he had played for a team in the American League.

Bruce is set to rejoin the Mets after spending parts of the past two seasons in NY prior to being traded to the Indians in August of 2017. He hit. 248 with seven home runs and 26 RBI.

Canada says outbreak over
Currently, no common supplier, distributor, or retailer of leafy greens has been identified as a possible source of the outbreak. The CDC says state and local health officials are interviewing patients to try to determine what they ate before getting sick.

NY reportedly agreed to a back-loaded deal that will pay Bruce $10 million in 2018 and $14.5 million in each of the following two seasons.

In a slow-developing market around the majors, Bruce's deal would be the third-largest given to a free agent so far this offseason.

That is certainly what the Mets seemingly got with this deal with Bruce. NY picked up Bruce's $13 million option last offseason but immediately began to shop him around.

Beginning his career with Cincinnati Reds, Bruce has the consistency and experience the Mets lacked last season once they traded him to Cleveland.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article