Police Complaint Filed Alleging Conductor James Levine Molested a Teen Boy

Casey Dawson
December 4, 2017

The Metropolitan Opera announced Saturday night that it has launched an investigation into charges of sexual abuse by Levine while at the Met. Levine continues to conduct performances at the opera company, including concerts of the Verdi Requiem just last week. Initially, it was just uncomfortable hand-holding in Levine's vehicle, he said.

"I began seeing a 41-year-old man when I was 15, without really understanding I was really seeing him", it's understood the alleged victim, now 48, has said in a written statement to police, and obtained by the NY Post. But eventually, he said Levine would masturbate in front of him and, as he got older, he said the conductor inappropriately touched and fondled him. Making [it] hard for me to see the wrong. "Now I can", the man has said.

The statute of limitations for a potential sex crime in IL expired nine years before the alleged victim came forward against Levine in 2016, reports the Post. "If these stories really are true, then they need to come out", he said.

Levine did not immediately respond to requests for comment made through the Met and his manager on Sunday.

The accusations follow a series of sexual abuse and harassment claims made against high-profile figures in the entertainment industry.

Running game, stingy defense support fiery Tom Brady in win over Bills
The Bills (6-6) lost for the fourth time in five weeks and now trail the Patriots by four games in the AFC East standings. Then they did the weirdest thing and benched quarterback Tyrod Taylor despite him playing well and the team winning.

During a long and distinguished career, Levine was nominated for 37 Grammy awards.

The alleged victim, who remains anonymous, reportedly shared his allegations with a former board member of the Metropolitan Opera, where Levine, now 74, served as music director for roughly four decades and currently holds the title of director emeritus.

"The BSO finds this information deeply disturbing and awaits the findings of further investigations on the matter".

After a successful last-minute substitute podium debut at Ravinia in 1971 conducting Mahler's "Resurrection" Symphony, Levine was named music director of the Highland Park music festival two years later.

The Met tweeted on December 3, Sunday, "We are deeply disturbed by the news articles that are being published online today about James Levine. Mr. Levine has not conducted the BSO since January 2011 and is not scheduled to conduct the orchestra at any time in the future", the statement posted to Twitter reads.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER