#RWC2023 SA will most certainly bid next time, says Ramaphosa

Lawrence Cooper
November 16, 2017

"The Welsh, I think, probably wanted to support Gareth Davies [WRU Chairman] who's director of Rugby World Cup Limited (RWCL) who produced the evaluation report and then disappointingly, the Italians, who we've supported hugely over the past number of years effectively went with the French as well".

Episode 36 of The Hard Yards rugby podcast features Tiernan O'Halloran and James Downey, with Tadhg Furlong on South Africa.

"Because the vote went to France after we had recommended South Africa doesn't mean it's humiliation (for World Rugby)", he said.

For if South Africa's 38-3 hammering by Ireland at the weekend was not painful enough, this loss felt even more dispiriting.

Japan will host the next World Cup, in 2019.

"In 1995 it was an almost-white team", said Ramaphosa when he added his sizeable political weight to the final presentation in September.

Browne admits he has to choose his words carefully so he doesn't get a rap on the knuckles from World Rugby while also serving the Irish government who having invested both a lot of political capital and money in the bid will want answers.

"For nearly six years we have focused passionately on bringing a Rugby World Cup to Ireland in 2023".

"But obviously I am delighted for France, they have run a World Cup before and we are really excited for the tournament".

Lyft to serve Toronto next month in first foray outside US
Last year, city council voted in favour of a package of regulations that effectively legalized ridesharing services in Toronto. The company is also beginning to sign up potential drivers now in advance of its rollout of its service.

"There was not much to separate, and we are proud to have won against these two bids".

"The ability to submit clarification requests following the publication of the recommendation and comprehensive report on 31 October was agreed and permitted within the host selection process operated by World Rugby".

"I'm very disappointed indeed".

Laporte toned down his cricitism after France were awarded the tournament, but admitted he believed there were aspects of the process he considered to have been unfair.

Argentina, Australia, England, Italy, New Zealand, Scotland and Wales had three votes apiece.

"That recommendation was questioned last week by rivals, but endorsed a second time by World Rugby last week.

The set of rules were broken during that process, which we are upset about", he said, offering a few opaque comments of his own.

Mark Alexander, president of SA Rugby, said he was "desolated" and fumed about breaches of protocol by other bidders.

"We can not hide our desolation but, for the sake of rugby we wish the 2023 tournament hosts every success".

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER