Can Facebook get people to tune into shows on the social network?

Kelvin Reese
August 12, 2017

Facebook will keep 45 percent of ad revenue earned by content on the new Watch platform, with the remaining 55 percent going to the content producer, according to Tech Crunch.

While Facebook is still in the early stages of rolling out Watch, it already has an attractive lineup of shows.

In its announcement, Danker said: "Watch is personalized to help you discover new shows, organized around what your friends and communities are watching".

Facebook Watch is also said to be cross-compatible with all devices, meaning users can access content on desktop computers, laptops, smartphones, tablets and more.

Show Pages should also make it easier for a viewer to understand what the series is about, watch its episodes, connect to the community created around it, and also watch other related videos.

That's what Facebook is calling the new section, which will only be made available to users in the United States for now, but is likely to expand outwards in the future.

NOAA: 60% chance of above-normal hurricane season
Five to nine hurricanes are still expected, but the number of major hurricanes called for is now two to five (it was two to four). After landfall, Franklin will slowly dissipate over east-central Mexico bringing heavy bouts of rain and potential flooding.

As much previously reported, as video has become ever more central to the Facebook proposition, there has been much chatter about the music contained within those videos, given the social media firm doesn't have any licensing deals in place with the record companies, music publishers or collecting societies. The new navigation tools make the video side of Facebook more like YouTube, and will likely see users more proactively encouraged to browse videos directly, rather than just watching content that automatically pops up within their personal Facebook feed.

Facebook's mini-network initiative is part of the company's aggressive push into video. If people watch shows, they'll be spending more time on Facebook.

In its announcement, the company explained that Facebook Watch would include a new type of video on its platform. Of course these might be either recorded or live and always aligns to a storyline or theme.

The social media tycoon also features a total of 1.32 billion people on average who log onto Facebook daily active users (Facebook DAU) for June 2017, which represents a 17 percent increase year and 1.74 billion mobile active users (Mobile Facebook MAU) for December 2016 which is an increase of 21% year-over-year.

"Similarly, we'll be opening up Shows to a limited group of creators and plan to roll out to all soon", he added.

YouTube has already vowed to take down any inappropriate content, and now wants to make its platform a safe space for creators to express themselves, and advertisers to promote their goods or services. One source said YouTube was a better home for its existing community, where Facebook's NewsFeed could help them connect with a new audience.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER